When To Repair And When To Replace Your Windshield
You're driving down the highway and a truck in front of you kicks up a rock – Smash! – you hear it slam into your windshield. A divot is left in the glass, and you are wondering whether you need to have the window completely replaced or if a quick repair will correct the problem.
To help you figure out what you need to do next, here's a look at some important information that will help you determine if a simple repair will rectify the problem, or if you need to have your windshield completely replaced.
Don't Leave the Damage Untreated
The most important thing to understand, whether you're dealing with a small chip, or a huge crack, is that you do need to take action when your windshield is damaged. Even the smallest chip can eventually turn into a huge crack over time; and that huge crack can cause serious problems.
With that in mind, here's a look at when a repair will suffice, and when you should have the windshield completely replaced.
When to Repair
A simple repair will correct the damage to your windshield when:
- The damage is not obstructing your line of vision
- You have less than 3 chips in your windshield
- The damage isn't located on the edge of the windshield
- The crack is smaller than a dollar bill
If a repair will correct the damage to your windshield, contact an auto class repair company. The damage will be assessed to determine whether or not a repair really will correct the problem. If it is deemed that a repair is sufficient, a glass resin will be injected into the chip, which will then be cured and polished. This resin will seal the chip, preventing it from expanding.
When to Replace
A repair may not be enough to correct the damage to your windshield, and the glass may need to be completely replaced when:
- The damage is larger than a dollar bill
- The damage is located on the edge of the glass, as this reduces the strength of the windshield, and will likely lead to the damage spreading quickly.
- The crack or chip is in your line of vision. Though a repair will prevent the damage from spreading, that damage will still be visible after a repair. If it is in your line of vision, it could limit your sight, and thus impede your safety.
Whether you need to have your windshield repaired or completely replaced at a place like Solarteck Auto Glass, the important thing to remember is that taking care of the damage is vital.